Training and Development Manager
The Training and Development Manager is charged with creating and implementing training approaches to ensure alignment of roles, responsibilities, and resources to stated goals, and to develop, plan, align, and facilitate training and development activities to achieve business objectives for Orange County Clerk of Courts. This includes, but is not limited to: delivering training interventions that both engage the learner and produce desired outcomes using various learning delivery mechanisms/options and selected methodologies that could include a combination of instructor led, technology or e-Learning delivered training, training facilitation, individual coaching, group instruction, self-study, demonstrations, simulations, and other learning methodologies. This individual contributor will report to the Director of Talent Management and Organizational Development.
Employees performing in this job function may perform some or all of these duties. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Develop an organization-wide training and development strategy, solutions and programs to meet the business objectives and developmental needs of employees at the leadership, professional and functional level;
- Conduct needs analysis to determine effective strategies, systems, and tools to address training needs, skill gaps, and build talent capabilities;
- Partner with the senior leadership, staff directors, division managers, and other key stakeholders to assess the organization’s needs, define requirements and develop and/or identify learning content for a variety of online and instructor-led training and development courses and other interventions;
- Employ formal adult learning techniques and theories to increase engagement, measure learning, and drive learning outcomes;
- Provides instructional design and training thought leadership to strategic business initiatives, including performance management, diversity, process improvement, career development, etc.;
- Select appropriate instructional design, methodologies and delivery utilizing a variety of interactive and leading-edge multimedia learning technology, micro learning techniques, just-in-time learning, and other innovative solutions.
- Create developmental paths and learning activities to support internal growth of hi-potential managers and key contributors;
- Establish and maintain staff curriculums in order to provide regular competency/gap reporting and makes recommendations to close gaps;
- Build and manage a repository of interactive training techniques/resources used by operations and technical trainers;
- Develops professional written, user-friendly training materials, including participant guides, facilitator guides, presentations, quick reference guides, job aids, learning activities, learning assessments, eLearning story boards, audio scripts using sound instructional design principles;
- Partners collaboratively with all Division subject matter experts (SMEs) to ensure training materials are accurate;
- Evaluate, redevelop, and maintain talent onboarding programs as needed;
- Conduct train-the-trainer sessions and structured learning experiences;
- Maintain detailed records of training aligned with employee’s learning paths;
- Manages resources (people, material, time) to ensure deliverables are completed in scope, on schedule, and within budget;
- Establishes and reports on Leadership Academy and all training effectiveness metrics;
- Develops effective evaluation tools; communicates the impact of learning solutions, including the ROI of learning when appropriate;
- Oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Learning Management and Learning Content Systems and create and maintain the organization competency based curricula;
- Create ongoing communication and marketing plans for new courses, curricula updates and help to promote and increase employees’ participation;
- Provide effective evaluations back to the divisions regarding the success level of individual learners;
- Recommend internal and external educational opportunities and training programs for employees’ individual development;
- Makes assessment of effectiveness of training in terms of employee’s accomplishments and performance;
- Compile data and analyze requirements to prepare a training budget and justify funds requested;
- Oversees the measurement of the performance and progress of trainees; ensures understanding and use of all processes to provide world class leaders in customer service and to protect, preserve, and maintain public records and public funds;
- Proactively stays abreast of learning and development trends and best practices, integrating them into the organization’s learning strategy;
- Maintains job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations;
- Demonstrate the competencies, values and commitment necessary to perform the job;
- Must be able to travel to all work locations including outlying branches;
- Perform other functions, duties and conduct special projects and/or research as assigned.
- Accountability: Takes ownership and initiative to follow issues and problems through to resolution. Accepts responsibility for the consequences of actions and choices; thinks before acting and considers how others in the organization will be affected; doesn't make excuses, blame others for mistakes or take credit for others' achievements.
- Drives Engagement: Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Collaborates – Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communication: Organizes and expresses ideas and information clearly, using appropriate and efficient methods of conveying the information. Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Develops Talent: Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Situational Adaptability: Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Resourcefulness: Secures and deploys resources effectively and efficiently;
- Organizational Awareness: Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics;
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Instructional Design, Training and Development, Organizational Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, or directly related degree;
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience designing developing, facilitating and administering training programs;
- Demonstrated experience in instructional design and with instructional design technology (e.g., Articulate Storyline, Articulate Studio, Captivate, Adobe Connect, and mobile learning content software);
- Experience with eLearning and web based technologies, their capabilities and best instructional uses;
- LMS experience is a must;
- Demonstrated knowledge, use and experience with training concepts and tools including needs analysis, psychometric assessment instruments, adult learning theories, team effectiveness, change management, legal compliance, and culture building.
- Demonstrated experience in utilizing metrics to measure and track success.
- Must have strong organizational and project management skills.
- Experience of successfully working in a matrixed management role.
- Demonstrated ability to work well one-on-one, closely with senior management and on teams.
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills required.
- Must be very "hands on," relational and demonstrate leadership by example.
- Master's Degree in Instructional Design, Training and Development, Organizational Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Organizational Leadership, or related area.
- Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP)
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements:
This position requires proficiency working with a personal computer in Windows environment and utilizing word processing (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Survey Gizmo, Learning Content Management Systems (LCMS) and/or Learning Management Systems (LMS), Human Resources Information Systems, and computer graphics programs.
- Continually: Sitting, walking, speaking and hearing.
- Continually: Typing, writing, and reading.
- Occasionally: Standing, carrying, lifting, pushing, reaching (up to 25 pounds)