Creative Director (Attraction/Ride/Land Design) - Universal Creative
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by todays realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors dont know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces The Universal Way by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: No job is this fun! Creative Directors are responsible for overseeing and driving the full creative experience, presenting the overall vision, layout and story, and ultimately directing and establishing the creative story for our guests. Being the Creative Vision-Keeper allows Universal to become a reality under your direction. Leading teams of highly creative project personnel helps you bring our unique experiences to life. The Creative Director role requires previous experience in themed entertainment, as an Art Director or Creative Director, designing and installing a world-class E-Ticket attraction.
- Leads and directs effort to conceive, develop and define all creative aspects of assigned project that affect guest experience. (Often includes leading and encouraging early efforts to creatively explore multiple options in order to arrive at best project direction.)
- Oversees and directs the execution of all applicable project elements to ensure guest experience intent and overall quality.
- Acts as vision-keeper for the project team. Communicates, inspires, and maintains project intent among all team-members. Drives the story for the project and evolves as necessary to maintain the creative intent and deliver the intended experience.
- Collaborates with Show Producer to maintain the desired creative intent. Responsible for driving the creative design through all phases of the project.
- Creates and presents project materials to internal and external audiences to advocate and communicate project concept, content and status.
- Works with the Show Producer to identify and procure talent and resources necessary to complete the project.
- Acts as project liaison as needed with internal and external partners, licensors, and intellectual property owners.
QUALIFICATIONS: Responsible for directing teams of creative project personnel such as writers, artists, directors, scenic designers, media producers, programmers, graphic designers, etc. Also responsible for identifying and directing appropriate outside vendors and consultants. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws.
- High School degree or GED required.
- Technical school preferred.
- Associates degree in Theater, Art, Film, or Architecture is required.
- Bachelors degree in Theater, Art, Film, or Architecture is required.
- Masters degree in Theater, Art, Film, or Architecture is preferred.
- Designing experience based entertainment for world-class theme parks; must have 7-10 years art direction or production design and field experience based on Universal Creative standards.
- Ability to communicate complex artistic ideas through a combination of written and visual and materials required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2017 Universal Studios. 2017 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE