School Crossing Guards work part-time during the school year. School Crossing Guards regulate, guide, and control pedestrians at a designated school crossing while children are going to and from school by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities however, other duties may be assigned. Remains standing at the school crossing in full view of passing traffic for a specified period of time. Guides and directs pedestrians and school children through busy intersections utilizing issued safety gear to ensure pedestrian safety. Remains alert for possible safety concerns at school crossing. Reports emergencies, equipment defects, and traffic dangers. Records and reports license number of potentially dangerous vehicles. This is a contracted position and will need to be renewed annually.
School Crossing Guard positions are contract positions and will need to be renewed annually.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or registered alien.
- High school diploma or possess a state equivalency diploma is recommended but not mandatory.
- Not have been convicted of a felony. Must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral character, false statements, perjury or domestic violence.
- Must not have received a dishonorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
- Be sufficiently agile to move swiftly to avoid danger.
- Be able to communicate fluently in verbal and written English.
- Must successfully pass an agility test and be able to pass annually.
- Must pass an occupational health medical exam on an annual basis.
- Able to successfully complete a state certification course with a passing score of 75% or higher and re-certify annually.
- Must be able to handle working with children and work in a high vehicle traffic environment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Applicants with body ornamentation (tattoos) on the head, scalp, face, neck and hands shall not be eligible for hire. Any tattoos should be removed prior to applying for a position.
YOUR REPUTATION BEGINS NOW
In law enforcement you are held to a much higher standard. Keep in mind the following from here on out:
- All communications, including email, is public record and part of your permanent file.
- Please be conscious of your social media and the associations you keep.
PROCESSING & TRAINING
Must successfully pass a physical agility test and complete the required training for School Crossing Guards before starting job. Must obtain the Florida School Crossing Guard Certification, and re-certify annually. Must have a valid Florida I.D.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach and motion with hands and arms; step up and down curbs; blow a whistle; talk or hear and visually observe vehicle and pedestrian traffic activity. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes and/or airborne particles. They will work outdoors in various weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
All School Crossing Guard employees of the Orange County Sheriff's Office receive the following benefits:
- Life insurance is provided by Sheriff
- Retirement benefits are provided by the Florida Retirement System
- Perfect attendance and recruiting incentives
- Safety equipment provided, such as: vest, gloves, whistle, stop paddle, winter jacket and rain coat
01 You must be at least 18 years of age to work in a non-law enforcement capacity. If applying for a non-law enforcement position, are you at least 18 years of age?
02 Are you a United States citizen or do you possess a valid permanent resident alien card?
- I am a United States citizen
- I am not a United States citizen, but I do possess a valid permanent resident alien card
- I am neither a United States citizen nor do I possess a valid permanent resident alien card
03 If you possess a permanent resident alien card, please provide the issue date, expiration date and the category code.
04 Do you have any tattoos or body ornamentation on the hands, head, neck, or face?
05 Please provide the description(s) and location(s) of ALL tattoos / body ornamentation(s)?
06 Are you able to read, write and fluently speak English?
07 Are there any languages other than English that you can read, write, or speak fluently?
08 Please provide the other languages you can read, write, or speak fluently. Enter each language on a separate line and beside each enter whether you read, write, or speak the language fluently.
09 If you have a driver's license, what is your driver's license # and the state of issuance? Enter N/A if you have no driver's license.
10 Have you had a driver's license for at least one (1) year as of this application date?
11 Have you received more than two (2) moving traffic violations /citations in the past three (3) years from the date of this application?
- I do not drive and/or have a driver's license
12 Please provide details of your moving traffic violations/citations in the past three (3) years from the date of this application?
13 Have you ever had your driver's license suspended or revoked?
- No, or I do not have a driver's license
14 Please provide details of your driver's license suspension(s) / revocations(s), date(s), state(s) issued and explanation(s).
15 Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
16 Have you ever been arrested or charged with a felony and/or misdemeanor crime? Pursuant to F.S.S. 943.059, arrests that have been sealed or expunged must be disclosed.
17 Please provide the felony and/or misdemeanor arrest(s) or charge information and date(s). If applicable, please note whether the arrest was sealed or expunged.
18 Have you ever been convicted of any misdemeanor crime involving false statements, perjury, or domestic violence?
19 Please provide all misdemeanor conviction charge(s) involving false statements, perjury, or domestic violence and date(s).
20 Have you ever been a suspect or a defendant in any criminal investigation?
21 Please provide an explanation of all your criminal investigation(s) and associated dates.
22 Have you ever been involved in any criminal activity?
23 Please provide an explanation of all your criminal activity and associated dates.
24 Do you have regular or continuous associations or dealings with anyone under criminal investigation or indictment, or who is involved in criminal behavior?
25 Please provide an explanation of your associations with the individual(s) under criminal investigation or indictment and the criminal activity that is involved.
26 Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of a gang or any association that engages in criminal activity?
27 Please provide the gang and/or association name, location(s) and the dates of involvement.
28 Have you been or known anyone who has been associated with any organization, past or present that would place the integrity of the Sheriff's Office in question? (e.g. KKK, Nazi organization, organized crime, etc.)
29 Please provide an explanation of these associations or dealings you have with these individuals that would place the integrity of the Sheriff's Office in question;. (e.g. KKK, Nazi organization, organized crime, etc.)
30 Have you ever used, possessed, or cultivated an illegal controlled substance?
31 Please provide an explanation of your drug use, and/or possession, and/or cultivation of an illegal controlled substance along with associated dates of last use/involvement.
32 Have you used any illegal drug(s) or illegal controlled substance(s) within the last two (2) years from the date of this application? (e.g. - marijuana, heroin, cocaine, LSD, etc.)
33 Please provide the type(s) of illegal drug(s) used within the last 2 years, location(s), and the dates last used.
34 Have you ever been involved in the sale/purchase of illegal drugs either directly or indirectly?
35 Please provide details of your illegal drug sale(s)/purchase involvement, location(s) and date(s).
36 Have you ever served in the armed forces (Military), and if so, what type of discharge did you receive?
- I did not serve in the military
- Honorable Discharge
- Honorable Discharge under General Conditions
- Dishonorable Discharge
- I am still an Active Reserve
37 What military branch(es), including any state National Guard, did you serve or are you currently serving in?
38 Please provide the dates of service to include Active and/or Reserve service.
39 Were you ever formally disciplined while in the military to include any Article 15's?
40 Please provide type of military discipline(s), reasons for the discipline, and dates.
41 Have you ever been disciplined by any past or current employer?
42 Please provide the employer's name where you were disciplined, type of discipline(s) and date(s).
43 Have you ever been terminated or asked to resign from a job?
44 Please provide the employer name(s) where your were terminated or asked to resign, reason for departure(s), and date(s) of termination(s)/resignation(s).
45 Have you applied with any other law enforcement agencies?
46 What agency, city/state and date(s) of application?