Production Art Director
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by todays realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors dont know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces The Universal Way by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: Provides creative concept and design development for projects as required by Universal Creative. Directs identified elements and artistic style for the given scope of the project. Directs original design intent and/or update of design intent. Collaborates with the Creative Director, Show Producer, Art Director and project team to develop and direct creative design intent to meet project creative, business, technical, and operational objectives.
- Monitors, develops, and fabricates visual design giving direction while defining elements of the assigned project that affect the guest experience. This may be accomplished with many different methods, including, but not limited to; creating sketches, illustrations, models, composite imagery and image research documentation. Supervise others to develop and fabricate those design ideas.
- Responsible for aesthetic direction for projects and improvements, maintenance and refurbishing efforts with the goal of creating and maintaining the design intent of themed environments in exterior and interior guest areas. Sets standards and provides oversight and direction of design and construction in progress for creative quality.
- Responsible for providing creative design and development including communicating visual ideas through sketching, drafting and rendering.
- Ensures project documentation of art and finish specifications, materials specification and design administration. Works with project management to insure schedules, deliverables, and fiscal accountability.
- Establishes, builds and maintains open relationships based on trust and partnering with key clients and support departments.
EDUCATION: Bachelors degree from a four-year college or university in Art, Theatrical Design or Architecture required. Masters degree in Theater, Art, Film, or Architecture is preferred.
- Designing experience based entertainment for world-class theme parks or related industries; must have at least 10-15 years production design, aesthetic installation, and field experience based on Universal Creative standards or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Other: Required highly creative with a keen eye for environmental design and detail. Required knowledge of the process of design, development, contracting and construction, and of thematic materials and finishes. Must have visual communication skills including sketching, rendering, drafting and presentation. Must have story interpretation and development, visual translation of story to environment. Some experience in environmental design, entertainment and display preferred. Knowledge of architectural and theatrical lighting, wardrobe and color theory preferred.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2017 Universal Studios. 2017 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE