Senior Show Set Designer - Rides, Attractions, and Shows
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by todays realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors dont know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces The Universal Way by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for leading the development of scaled models, drawings and drawing packages depicting design and art direction for all show and scenic components of a Project. As part of the Design team, will assist the lead Designer or Creative Director in the development of details creatively integrating the myriad show, facility, equipment and elements into the overall creative environment. Must have creative, artistic and illustration ability. Is responsible to bring art to life in the drawing package. Responsible for integration and coordination of show and facility elements in the drawing package. Oversees other designers and utilizes various drafting techniques and tools (e.g. AutoCAD, ADOBE Graphics software, 3D software, etc.) to draw, draft and create dimensional, scale drawings and models detailing construction methods and the integration of various show elements with each other and the facility. Responsible for designing to project program and budget, and for coordinating and integrating with other disciplines including but not limited to engineering, operations, and architect/engineer of record.
- As directed by the Show Producer, Creative Director, or the Production Designer, oversees and directs the development, organization and assembly of an overall show, high quality show set design package. The show set package articulates the Projects creative design intent and details the various show elements of an attraction, such as scenery, special effects, show action equipment, animated figures, props, animated props, audio equipment, lighting equipment and more.
- Oversees and directs in-house and external design resources. With the Show Producer, identifies talent and resources and requirements necessary to complete the project.
- During design, participates in design, cost, schedule and technical reviews. Responsible for developing creative design, color boards, sketching, drafting, and models and other creative output that outline solutions to integrate elements into a themed environment. Evaluates sightlines, visual intrusion and concealment of non-theatrical equipment within an on-stage environment.
- During construction, oversees contractors, develops in-field solutions and follow-up documentation. Ensures project completion of documentation of art and finish specifications, materials specification and design drawings.
- Establishes, builds, and maintains positive and productive team relationships based on open communication, trust and teamwork with project partners, departments, disciplines, and personnel. Communicates, inspires, and maintains project intent among all team-members.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of presentations and presentation artwork outlining creative goals and intent to gain internal and external approvals.
SCOPE: Non-routine; general policies applied to frequently changing situations; detailed understanding of technical issues. Influences decisions of moderate nature requiring high degree of tact and maturity.
Will work in all phases of projects as directed, from blue sky though to project closeout, design and field installation. Will be assigned to a wide range of tasks and project sizes and types.
EDUCATION: Associates degree (AA) required. Bachelors degree in Architecture, Fine Arts, Design, Theater, Graphics or Computer Technology or degree in other related field is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 7-10 Years: within attraction development environment is required. 10+ Years: within attraction development environment is preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have successfully designed, developed and assembled several project show set design packages; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2019 Universal Studios. 2019 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE