Hardware Engineer II
The Hardware Engineer II is a key member of the engineering team responsible for design, development, installation, test, Hardware/Software Integration (HSI), site installation and production of hardware components and systems as part of a multidisciplinary engineering department. Engineering disciplines include, but are not limited to, electrical engineering (analog and digital), mechanical engineering, 2D and 3D drafting, systems engineering and software engineering. All design and development is specifically related to training and simulation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct technical hardware oversight of design, development, installation, test and Hardware/Software Integration (HSI), site installation and production of hardware component/systems. This includes all technical management facets for systems and hardware engineering including requirements analysis, design, integration, test, production techniques and installation.
- Works with limited supervision to analyze and design efficient solutions that fully satisfy all allocated and derived requirements. Analyzes the technical and logistical risks associated with proposed solutions, and makes recommendations for mitigating them. Leads hardware engineering efforts, and may be part of a larger hardware engineering team. Provides status on a regular basis. Demonstrates a solid understanding of the principles of hardware engineering.
- Analyzes customers specifications to derive system requirements for designing, developing and upgrading systems/sub-systems, and formally documents them in requirements traceability matrices. Uses requirements management tool tools to document and extract requirements. Responsible for project specification development and reviews.
- Participates in technical reviews to assess performance, progress as well as risk assessment (i.e., technical, scheduling and cost). Prepares, coordinates, and executes design reviews as part of an Integrated Product Teams (IPT) to validate the correctness, completeness, and feasibility of proposed solutions. Satisfies all action items identified by IPTs during reviews, and ensures that all exit criteria are satisfied.
- Ensures budgets, schedules and performance requirements are met and that group projects are completed successfully and on time.
- Supports and establishes operating objectives of components/systems and develops the hardware requirements definition . Elicits, deconflicts, reviews and communicates the requirements to all relevant stakeholders, including customer requirements and derived requirements. Produces the associated documentation. Monitors the components/systems development to ensure engineering hardware requirements are met.
- Develops all hardware engineering work products including, but not limited to: Drawing trees, drawings, drawing markups (when working with a drafter), trade studies, installation plans.
- Working with lead personnel, to develop proposal hardware/software cost, Work Breakdown Structures, schedules and risk assessments.
- Administer all the AutoDesk tools used by ProActive Technologies.
- Develop and maintain hardware engineering procedures, work instructions, checklists, etc.
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support new business proposal efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering discipline, with Masters Degree preferred. Electrical or Mechanical engineering is preferred.
- Capable of obtaining and maintaining US Department of Defense (DoD) secret security clearance.
US Citizenship is required.Computer Skills:
The candidate must have a thorough understanding of electrical and/or mechanical engineering and apply that knowledge to trainer/simulator architectures, the analysis and design of hardware systems, and how the hardware systems interact with the trainer software. Advanced experience with AutoCAD 2017 (or later), and the use of configuration management tools (e.g., Vault) is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have basic level of proficiency with Microsoft Office products (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project (desirable)) to manage documents and data. Supporting technical and budget documentation and making presentations to management and customers.