The Titusville YMCA Family Center located in Brevard County is seeking part-time Referees / Officials with a passion for reffing a variety of Youth Sports. S/he must accept and demonstrate YMCA core value and work effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. This individual must have a proven track-record showing a good work ethic, punctuality and reliable attendance. S/he must have flexible availability to work during peak program hours; that may include split shifts, evenings and weekends.
Under the direction of the Program or Executive Director, officials are responsible for the integral part of monitoring sports activity, making sure all rules are followed and the game is played fairly.
- Enforce the rules of the game.
- Complete score sheets at score table. Write in final score, circle winning team, initial games officiated.
- Facilitate/lead sports pledge before game.
- Ensure game starts on time.
- Take charge. Do not be afraid to blow the whistle.
- Explain your calls to players and coaches.
- Ensure safety.
- Actively engage with coaches. Always explain to the coaches how the game will be called.
- Ensure goal heights are adjusted according to age division and proper size ball is used.
- Assist supervisor with set-up/clean-up as needed.
- Maintain control of game. Keep composure under pressure. Help keep a positive environment. Do not allow coaches or parents to argue with you.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Assist in the identification of active volunteers for the Family Center Annual Scholarship Campaign.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
To be successful, you must meet education, training and experience requirements, and you must be able to demonstrate some critical knowledge, skills, and abilities.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- 1-3 years experience as a referee/official preferred.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of league rules as they apply to the sport being played.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, SKILLS AND HABITS
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent follow through actions regarding communication.
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- Must be willing to regularly work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
- May be required to sit, stand or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- May be required to work outdoors for extended periods of time. May be exposed to extreme outdoor weather conditions and temperatures.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and members’ well-being.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person.
- May be required to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. in various forms.
- Must exhibit patience and understanding.
- Receives and follows detailed instructions.
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
Along with a competitive pay structure, the YMCA of Central Florida provides exceptional benefits which include the following:
- 12% Employer funded retirement plan after two years of service with immediate vesting and the ability to add additional earnings from first day of employment
- YMCA membership for employees; discounts for household
- Career advancement opportunities with one of the largest and fastest growing YMCA Associations in the country.
- A challenging and fun work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
The YMCA of Central Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
The YMCA of Central Florida is committed to teaching life skills, values and an ethic of service to strengthen individuals, families and youth by developing health in spirit, mind and body. All positions offer a competitive salary and the opportunity to work in a diverse environment with individuals who are passionate about youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.