Senior Director, Facility Construction - PMO - Universal Creative
Universal Creative is the planning and development division of Universal Parks and Resorts, which is one of the many businesses within NBCUniversal. We are ideally situated in Orlando, Florida, which has become widely known as the theme park and resort capital of the world. We are responsible for the design, development, and delivery of all resort and theme park concepts for all of Universal vacation destinations worldwide Universal Orlando Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Studios Japan, Universal Studios Singapore, as well as a new destination coming in Beijing, China. Join us if you want to collaborate, innovate, develop, and deliver the most compelling entertainment experiences imaginable that drive growth for the Universal brand around the world.
What sets Universal Creative apart?
We rarely wear suits. We think pop culture is fascinating and newsworthy. We are aware that possibilities are not limited by todays realities. We know that everyone has good ideas (and the occasional bad one as well). We know that the world is large and varied, and that we touch all of it. We know that most high school guidance counselors dont know our jobs exist. We know that if this were easy, everyone would be doing it. We know that there is an eclectic assortment of talented people from various professional backgrounds at the heart of Universal Creative. In addition, we embrace the power of cultural diversity and inclusion and continuously strive to maintain a team that is a reflection of our global audience. We are a diverse group, but united by a common goal: to dream and deliver the best possible out-of-home entertainment for people from every walk of life. In order to make that happen, Universal Creative relies on collaboration, hard work, synchronicity, a bit of luck, and a bunch of talented, experienced people who do not let ego and turf stand in the way of brilliance. We depend on a team of people who understand the task, the business implications, and refuse to be defeated by the challenge to fuse fantasy with physics. Universal Creative embraces The Universal Way by not just meeting guest expectations, but exceeding them, every time.
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Chief Project Management Officer, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of development and construction for each of Universals project portfolios. This includes dotted-line oversight of the Facility Construction Directors assigned to project portfolios.
Key areas of responsibility: Work with the individual facility construction directors, project directors and head of the portfolio to organize and ensure effective construction management of projects. Responsibilities include the hiring and development of talent, establishing a good knowledge base of contractors and subcontractors, monitoring and where possible improving the project schedules and budgets. Leading the development of processes and procedures, work with the early development team to establish project constructability, estimating, value engineering and support overall construction gate approvals for project advancement.
Developing and implementing efficient project management procedures. Training project construction teams and monitoring team adherence to project procedures and overall performance.
Other requirements include possessing a strong commitment to teamwork, mentoring, the ability to prioritize, to be goal-oriented, to serve our end user and to build our company with integrity and competence.
- Construction/Implementation- Manage the development and on-going improvement of project procedures associated with the overall Project Management Office. Includes but not limited to; review of potential project management systems; development of new project procedures, flowcharts, and other information required to communicate the project procedural requirements to project teams and vendors. Provide ongoing training, consultation and guidance to project teams on all matters related to the upfront project development, ongoing project and construction management systems, processes, procedures and tasks.
- Budget/Scheduling- Assist in developing project budgets and schedules for projects. Monitor the overall project budgets and schedules within the targeted objectives set forth during project approval and advise project teams of potential issues to avoid cost overruns or schedule delays.
- Review and approve all potential contractors and vendors pre-qualification forms (Vendor Qualification Process- VQP) for all non-Ride/Show contractors and vendors. Establish a good knowledge base of contractors and subcontractors.
- Creative Development- Ensure the project construction teams coordinate and implement the creative content prepared by the Creative team or outside consultants from the commencement of Blue Sky through final delivery of the creative vision that meets the initial objectives set forth during the concept development.
- Personnel Management- Assist portfolio leadership with the hiring and selection of the necessary project construction teams and personnel required to implement the project. Monitor the performance of each of the project construction teams and recommend adjustments as necessary to assure the successful opening of new attractions. Be responsible for the development and growth of project construction teams and personnel. Manage across portfolios the talent needs, requirements and best fit of talent.
- Project Reporting- Ensure project construction teams properly manage, track and report on all necessary project components inclusive of budget, schedule and progress of the project to upper management. Ensure teams maintain accurate documentation necessary to assure a successful project completion within the targeted budget and schedule.
- Responsible for actively enforcing and participating in the environmental Health & Safety program, policy, procedures, training and updating the policy based on lessons learned and best practices. Champion the QA / QC process. Develop a method to gauge the portfolio performance with regard to safety and QA / QC.
- Requires significant knowledge and experience of architecture, engineering and construction. In addition, familiarity with all the requirements of construction management procedures is required.
- Knowledge of Prolog and Microsoft Project.
EDUCATION: Bachelors degree from a four-year college or university in Architectural, Engineering or Construction Management required. Masters degree in Architectures, Engineers or Construction Management is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 15-20 Years: of experience in the development and management of multiple major projects with hospitality/entertainment/theme park experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: License in Architecture, Construction or Engineering is preferred.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Parks & Resorts via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Parks & Resorts HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Parks & Resorts. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Parks & Resorts as a result of the referral or through other means.
ITS A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & 2018 Universal Studios. 2018 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE