Construction Technician – Locator
Summit Broadband is a leading fiber-optics telecommunications provider in Central and Southwest Florida, providing voice, video, data, and high-speed internet services to commercial and residential customers. We are an organization that value’s each employee’s contributions and encourages everyone to share their ideas. Standing out in the industry by providing superior products and exceptional customer service, this growing and dynamic high-tech company is seeking a Locator to join our team and grow with us.
Job Title: Construction Technician – Locator - Central
Status: Full Time/Nonexempt
Reports to: Construction Supervisor
The Construction Technician – Locator is responsible for fiber and cable locates, outside plant audits (aerial and underground), and Installation of locate wire where appropriate.
- Based on locate tickets from Sunshine One-Call, the FDOT and other appropriate sources, accurately locate and mark existing underground fiber and copper cables to protect plant. The accuracy of the marks is crucial.
- As the locator usually works alone, an employee in this position is expected to exercise considerable initiative in moving efficiently through the day’s work assignments.
- A locator must be able to read and interpret Bentley maps and other KMZ maps in order to facilitate locating fiber and coaxial cable lines. A locator uses a variety of specialized electronic equipment to locate fiber and plant components in the right of way and utility easement.
- Maintain existing new plant as follows
- Audit existing outside plant both aerial and underground including but not limited to GPS coordinates of hand holes, record fiber type and footages, record pole numbers and attachment heights.
- Update GIS (Bentley) team and outside plant records to accurately reflect changes found in the field.
- Install locate wires and fiber markers when necessary.
· Accurately locate and mark existing underground fiber and copper cables for pre-construction engineering plans.
· Responds to the needs of a 24/7/365 operation
· Must be able to work after hours and weekends. Remain in service during outages until resolved.
· Remain in a state of readiness to handle call issues when on call. Readiness includes being in local market, be in a state of mind so as to perform service and having company provided communications equipment ready to receive calls.
· Must be able to work emergency schedules during natural disasters and network outages
· Full accountability in safety, productivity, quality, workmanship and customer service
· Maintain vehicle in a clean and professional manner
· Dress in approved Summit/OTC branded clothing and arrive to work in a neat and professional manner
· Ability to multi-task and work independently
· Ability to deal with and solve problems using solid judgment skills
· Uses excellent hearing and listening skills to receive detailed information
· Other duties as assigned including non technical
· Minimum 2 years locating experience
· Must have valid driver’s license with a clear DVR
· Employee is required to drive during night time conditions
· You must have close vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust your focus with good hand-eye coordination
· Must be able to pass standard background check
· Must pass pre-employment and compulsory drug screening
· High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required
· Two years telecommunications experience required
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly
· Must be able and willing to climb ladders and work on utility poles
· Must be able and willing to work in adverse weather conditions
· This job could require working from a bucket truck and performing various work duties from such an environment
· Computer skills sufficient to process locate and trouble tickets
· Knowledge of Excel and Word
· Exposure to Bentley V8i
· Flexibility to work mandatory overtime in order to meet business needs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.