Group Exercise Instructor, J. Douglas Williams YMCA Family Center
Lake Mary, FL
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Interacts with new and existing members to help them in achieving their health and well-being goals. Creates a welcoming environment for all members of all backgrounds and abilities. This position is responsible for providing high quality group exercise, excellent customer service, and product knowledge to members in a safe and clean environment.
- Creates and leads an inclusive workout that motivates participants to work to their highest potential. This includes offering appropriate modifications and progressions so that all participants can scale the workout to their level.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Arrives prepared and on time to all classes and provides clear and easy to understand instructions for all members.
- Consistently use verbal and visual cues in a timely manner and coordinate all movement within tempo, downbeat, or the 32-count phrase of the music for appropriate formats in all components of a class except for the cool down.
- Ability to adjust choreography/workout on the spot based on the needs and abilities of the participants in the room.
- Actively recruits and retains group exercise participants.
- Connect and engage with participants during class verbally and with eye contact.
- Motivate members in support of meeting personal and program goals.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and other YMCA programs based on their health and well-being goals.
- Utilizes tools, technology and information for the purpose of increasing member knowledge of wellness as well as wellness programs provided through the YMCA (handouts, schedules, etc.).
- Maintain a high degree of trust and confidentiality with personal information of others.
- Maintains and cleans equipment according to the schedule or as requested by supervisor.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Respond promptly and appropriately when rescue or first aid is necessary.
- Enforce all safety rules fairly, consistently with tact and respect.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- Up to date Group Exercise (per Association requirements) certifications will be required at each annual performance evaluation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age requirement of 18 will apply
- High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications for the professional rescuer preferred prior to hire.
- Bloodborne Pathogens training within 60 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Certified Group Exercise Certification required from one of the following: Athletics and Fitness Association of America Group Exercise (AFAA GX), American Council on Exercise Group Exercise (ACE GX), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM CPT), American Council on Exercise (ACE CPT), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA CPT), International Sports Science Association (ISSA CPT), World Instructor Training Schools (WITS CPT), National Personal Training Institute (NPTI), National Exercise Trainer Association (NETA), Fit Tour, or a 4-year degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Therapy. Must be current and in good standing.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- The employee must be able to perform heavy work: exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The employee is subject to noise: there is sufficient noise to cause the employee to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- The employee is subject to hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The employee may be exposed to infectious diseases.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.