SENIOR PROGRAMMER ANALYST (GIS)
FULL TIME REGULAR
PAY RANGE: PG-27 $28.22-$42.30 ($58,697.60-$87,984.00)
Must have the physical, developmental and mental ability to perform job tasks, work efforts, responsibilities and duties of the job illustrated below:
Technical Geographical Information Systems (GIS) work analyzing all aspects of water and wastewater utilities. Supervises GIS staff within the Utilities Division. Assists with implementation and management of asset management initiatives.
Performs the following duties with periodic direction from a management.
Project Coordination: Responsible for coordinating projects from analysis through implementation for small moderate systems. Arranges and conducts meetings with staff to determine application needs for increased productivity.
Maintain Knowledge of Customer's Applications: Maintains an in-depth knowledge of the clients GIS application.
Training of Customers and Utilities Staff: Trains employees and clients in the proper usage for new GIS systems. Provides technical assistance, guidance and training for customers and Utilities staff for specific GIS applications, including web viewer, data collection systems, etc.
System Development: Performs technical work writing and maintaining programs and related documentation. Creates test data and evaluates test results. Responsible for system development consisting of system design, implementation and support. Provides technical expertise in all phases of program and data base development, including development of various analysis tools and programs. Develops standard operating procedures for all GIS activities. Implements Quality Management Techniques for entry, execution, development and processing of map data, programs, revising data sets and overall systems operations. Responsible for continued development of and improvements to the Utilities geometric network.
Perform Analysis and Design: Performs systems analysis, design, construction, and ongoing system support. Completes accurate program development and project duration estimates. Develops time/cost estimates.
Develops time/cost estimates: Develops cost benefit studies. Documents and reports on systems analysis and design phases. Estimates impact upon system resources. Participates in post-implementation reviews and revisions.
Responsible for the development and maintenance of the ArcGIS SDE databases on the GIS, which includes, but is not limited to, converting data from various sources (surveys, aerial photographs, plats, construction plans, as-built drawings, etc.) for entry in the GIS.
Principal areas of responsibility include: Designs and implements Utility GIS mapping, database programs and other technical work related to the Utilities GIS development and database maintenance management. Ensures GIS compatibility with Utilities Land Management Information, Computerized Maintenance Management Systems and SCADA. Preparation of documentation for programs, operations and users. Performs field data collection as needed using Global Positioning System (GPS) collectors
Performs related GIS and Utilities Engineering activities as required. Responsible for maintaining file digitization program of all Subdivision drawings and maps using G.P.S. survey control points and related digital files using ArcGIS and other computer software.
Performs additional related duties as required. Completion of additional educational course as required. Position may require travel as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Knowledge of GIS systems programming, commands and functions, coding methods, operation.
- Knowledge of GIS Program language, ArcGIS, Arc/View, and other associated software.
- Skilled in using Global Positioning System (GPS) technology for field data collection.
- Ability to write, test, and debug programs.
- Ability to program proficiently using Visual Basic and ArcObjects.
- Ability to learn terminology, concepts, and principles of civil/environmental engineering as related to water and wastewater facilities and systems.
- Ability to prepare updates and maintenance of the existing data sets.
- Ability to prepare engineering and administrative reports, letters and memorandums.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Must be able to speak in a manner that can be understood.
- Ability to sit for long periods.
- Ability to concentrate on detail and sequential work tasks.
- Ability to stoop, bend and stand.
- Ability to perform task that require hand and eye coordination.
- Must have the ability to see, write and perform data entry keying efforts.
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with employees, management, and other divisions.
Graduate of an accredited four (4) year college with major course work in Information Systems, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography or a related field and have a minimum of three (3) years of experience, including two (2) years in a major GIS analysis and design project.
Must have a valid driver's license and be able to secure a valid Florida driver's license at the time of employment within this classification.
This position may be required to report for work when a declaration of emergency has been declared in Polk County.