Manager, Ethnographic Research
JOB SUMMARY: Universal Parks and Resorts Consumer Insights is the core research function charged with designing, implementing, and interpreting primary mixed method research to provide the organization with information on past, current, and future guests' experiences, sentiments, and profiles for both UOR and USH. The Consumer Insights team supports stakeholder groups throughout the organization, including Marketing & Sales, Operations, Entertainment, Creative, Product Planning, and Finance, providing data critical to immediate needs as well as mid and long-range planning efforts.
Our Ethnographic research team tackles some of the most complex challenges to develop multi-level, nuanced understandings of complex issues. Our team collaborates with partners and stakeholders across the organization to identify and evaluate problems, test solutions, and contribute new ideas.
The Manager of Ethnographic Research will independently lead ethnographic studies from design, data collection, analysis, and deliverables, using a wide array of qualitative techniques to conduct in-depth explorations of multifaceted topics related to consumer and guest perspectives, behaviors, and experiences. The Manager will liaison with our Field teams, Analytics team, and Systems team to curate existing data, solicit new data, and develop methodologies that best examine the question at hand.
- Independently design, execute, analyze, interpret, and report ethnographic projects related to initiatives across the Orlando and Hollywood parks. Collaborate with the Director of Ethnography to identify an overarching research design and methodology to meet objectives. Develop data collection instruments (e.g., field observation rubrics, interview guides, surveys). Communicate with relevant stakeholders to gain permissions to conduct research.
- Schedule and conduct data collection in a timely and accurate manner. Conduct relevant analyses of data, including qualitative and quantitative approaches. Synthesize and interpret results from multiple techniques/sources to develop evidence-based, holistic, in-depth deliverables.
- Continue to cultivate existing client relationships through partnership and rapport building and develop new relationships across the organization through ethnographic outreach.
- Collaborate with Field team, Analytics team, and Systems team partners to identify opportunities for data curation and to maximize efficiencies in the collection of relevant data.
- Monitor social listening platforms, conduct literature reviews, and conduct various forms of content analysis to track relevant trends, perspectives, and pulses on topics relevant to areas of inquiry.
- Conduct intercoder reliability checks of Field coding, develop and refine coding methodologies to maximize efficiency and reliability, and create new codebooks when applicable.
- Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Master's or doctoral degree in Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Human Factors, Market Research, or other Social Science required.
EXPERIENCE: 5+ Years: experience conducting complex ethnographic research studies using a wide array of techniques (e.g., in-depth interviews, observation, focus groups, content analysis, cognitive interviews, etc.); or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- PLANNING KNOWLEDGE: In-depth division operating plan; understanding client goals and timelines; understanding overall Company goals.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Management of standard policies and procedures within a major function and may coordinate work processes across divisions.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Divisional key performance indicators (Annual Operating Plan, GSAT, TSAT)
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
Universal Orlando Resort. Here you can.
Universal Orlando is an equal opportunity employer. Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2022 Universal Studios. All rights reserved. EOE