Lifeguards/Swim Instructors, South Orlando YMCA Family Center
Lifeguards and Swim Instructors provide excellent customer service while maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas. Our Aquatics team members create a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with the YMCA of Central Florida policies and procedures.
- New competitive wage plan that starts at $15.00 per hour for lifeguards and swim instructors! - Plus any related experience will be factored in addition to the new base rates!
- Flexible scheduling that promotes work/life balance
- Free YMCA membership and other employee perks
- Certification training classes with reimbursement opportunities if you're not currently certified as a lifeguard
- Immediate openings, career growth, and year round part-time or seasonal positions available.
- The Y is a cause-driven organization that provides a challenging and fun work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
- Maintain constant surveillance of the pool area using constant scanning techniques to achieve a 10x10 reaction time and dealing with redirection and warnings in a timely manner. Remain alert and attentive to all swimmers while on guard.
- Know and review all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with the YMCA of Central Florida policies and procedures.
- Know, understand and consistently apply safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Greet and develop effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Assist in the retention of existing members and engagement of new members by informing them of the Family Center aquatic programs, including lap swimming, swim lessons, swim team and group exercise classes.
- Ensure cleanliness of pool decks and aquatic areas. Check the pool for hazardous conditions.
- Attend all staff meetings, monthly in-services and trainings as required.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- Minimum age 16 years old.
- Previous lifeguard experience a plus.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Current Oxygen Administration certification required.
- Current Lifeguard certification required. (YMCA Lifeguard certification preferred; Red Cross Lifeguard certification is acceptable, but must receive YMCA certification within 60 days). The Y is currently offering Lifeguard certification training classes with cost reimbursement opportunities for successfully hired individuals.
- Current Swim Instructor Certification required for Swim Instructors only - YSL (YMCA) Certification or WSI (American Red Cross)–w/crossover training.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent follow through actions regarding communication.
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting, and maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Must possess the physical ability to pass a lifeguard water test and perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a professional water rescue.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and members' well-being.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person.
- May be required to work outdoors for extended periods of time. May be exposed to extreme outdoor weather conditions and temperatures and to wet and/or humid conditions in swimming pool areas.
- The employee is subject to noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the employee to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- May be required to work with hazardous chemicals (i.e. pool chemicals, cleaning solutions, disinfectants, etc.).
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.