At Orlando Health Heart and Vascular Institute, our renowned cardiologists, heart and vascular surgeons, and cardiovascular professionals work together to provide award-winning care in 40 specialties, using the latest in diagnostic imaging and treatment options.
Our multidisciplinary team includes more than 70 physicians in 24 locations across Central Florida, spanning Orange, Osceola, Lake, Seminole, Highlands and Okeechobee counties. As a part of Orlando Health, the Heart and Vascular Institute includes a network of community and specialty hospitals with more than 4,000 providers.
The Certified Medical Assistant performs patient care under the direction of the physician and supervision of the lead nurse in an ambulatory care setting.
- Accountable to the Assistant Nurse Manager, Nursing Operations Manager, or Practice Manager for operational issues.
- Embraces and participates in quality initiatives, goal attainment, and clinical outcome process improvement activities
- Supports and demonstrates effective and professional communication with patients and family members
- Works collaboratively with the administrative and operations staff.
- Gathers patient data through interview and observation.
- Assists patients and families with preparation for examination.
- Assists the physician during examination and procedures.
- Demonstrates competency in specific tasks and skills as defined by the practice.
- Provides routine treatments and administers approved medication types.
- Documents patient data, treatments, procedures, and patient education according to Orlando Health and department specific policies.
- Assists the physician by acting as a liaison on behalf of the patient to schedule, provide patient with scheduling information to obtain specialty testing, and/or specialty physician consultation.
- Processes incoming and outgoing calls in an independent and professional manner using sound clinical judgment.
- Adheres and assures compliance with Orlando Health and department specific policy, procedures, value statements and Commitment to Excellent standards.
- Consistently demonstrates personal and patient safety practices and adherence to infection control standards outlined in Orlando Health policies.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and have the ability to assess data appropriate to the age-specific needs of the patients on his or her assigned department and/or unit.
- Demonstrates awareness of medical/legal issues, patient rights and compliance with standards of regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Practices the efficient use of supplies.
- Assists business office as needed with reception, scheduling, and discharge of patients.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Successful completion of Medical Assistant training from an approved technical school (or 5 years of verifiable applicable work experience in patient care setting)
- Maintains current BLS Healthcare Provider Certification – and-
- Maintains current certification by one of the following agencies:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) (www.aama-ntl.org)
- Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) by American Medical Technologists (AMT) (www.amt1.com)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) by National Healthcareer Association (NHA) (www.nhanow.com)
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) by National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) (www.ncctinc.com)