Landscaper - Public Service Worker I - Parks
This position will assist with the maintenance of the landscape and grounds, repair and upkeep of various buildings, outdoor amenities and equipment in the Winter Garden parks and land system. The position may also be assigned specific tasks, functions, and facilities for which they are responsible.
- Provides a courteous, responsive and helpful experience for residents, visitors, and partners.
- Cleans and picks up debris in various parks, buildings, restrooms, athletic facilities, or other areas in city-owned facilities.
- Assists with preparations needed of such facilities for athletic field use, special events, recreation programming or other uses as necessary.
- Follows plans regarding the installation, care, and maintenance of various types of landscapes within the landscape system including trees, shrubs, ground cover and turf.
- Operates moderately heavy landscape equipment including tractors, earth tillers, landscape rakes and blades, augers and skid loaders.
- Performs basic tasks regarding irrigation maintenance.
- Follows instructions regarding materials, equipment, and training to assure a safe working environment for self and other members of immediate work unit.
- Prepares daily, monthly and annual reports as required by immediate supervisor.
- Provides maintenance and custodial services to various areas and facilities which may include but are not limited to; picnic areas, meeting facilities, native grassland and wildflower areas, playgrounds, shelters, nature trails, wetlands, biking trails, open turf play areas, equestrian trails and wildlife habitat areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED with two (2) years of experience performing manual labor in a landscaping, grounds keeping or parks environment.
- Average writing and verbal communication skills are required.
- Possess and maintain a valid Florida class B Driver's License. If not held at time of hiring, this must be obtained within the first six months of employment.
- Turf and athletic field experience strongly preferred.
- Based on FMCSA regulations, applicants for employment and existing employees in positions requiring a CDL are subject to pre-employment, post-employment, and ongoing testing for controlled substances and alcohol as a condition of employment.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic landscape maintenance and construction.
- Ability to read and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with Parks personnel, trainees, volunteers and the general public.
- Ability to safely operate equipment and perform job related tasks to ensure a safe environment for co-workers, residents and visitors.
- Ability to operate equipment such as trucks, tractors, riding mowers, hand tools, shovels, earth tillers, generators, saws, probes and small utility vehicles.
- Ability to follow instructions regarding materials, equipment, and training to assure a safe working environment for self and other members of immediate work unit.
- Experience in the methods and tools used in planting, removing, and maintaining landscaped areas.
- Knowledge of operation and repair of irrigation systems.
- Must have and maintain a safe driving record.
- Occasional exposure to fumes from automotive exhaust, paints, chemicals, pesticides and fertilizers.
- Work is almost entirely outdoors and employees are subject to be exposed to extreme weather conditions such as heat, sun, cold, wind, rain, storms, etc.
- Exposure to mosquitoes, flies, bees and other pests is also common.
- Ability to perform intensive and routine manual work.
- Ability to lift and carry 40 to 80 pound loads.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.