This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Interacts with new and existing members to help them in achieving their health and well-being goals. Creates a welcoming environment for all members of all backgrounds and abilities. This position is responsible for providing high quality personal exercise training, excellent customer service, and product knowledge to members in a safe and clean environment.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. We are the Y.
- Actively recruits and retains personal training groups.
- Personal information of members/ clients must be kept strictly confidential to maintain a high degree of trust and confidence.
- Contractual agreements and payments for members must be processed thru member services and in adherence with the Y's accounting procedures and policies.
- Seeks new members to serve on a continual basis.
- Greets and develops friendly, professional relationships with all members.
- Designs programs that are tailored to group health and wellness objectives, documents progress.
- Coach members in support of their desired behavior change.
- Regularly checks on members' progress in meeting personal and program goals.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Introduces new members to group exercise communities based on their health and well-being goals.
- Utilizes tools, technology and information for the purpose of increasing member knowledge of wellness as well as wellness programs provided through the YMCA (handouts, schedules, etc.).
- May conduct post-enrollment interviews to understand new members' definition of well-being, personal goals, cultural background, healthcare needs, diverse abilities and interests and develops plans to meet their individual needs.
- Maintains and cleans equipment according to the schedule or as requested by supervisor.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Respond promptly and appropriately when rescue or first aid is necessary.
- Enforce all safety rules fairly, consistently with tact and respect.
- Maintain Personal Training or specialize certifications (per Association requirements) certifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School graduate or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 1 year of experience in personal training capacity required
- CPR, First Aid, AED Certification preferred prior to hire. Must obtain within 60 days of hire
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages, improving the health and fitness at all levels
- Friendly, customer service-oriented attitude with members and fellow employees
- Certified Personal Training Certification and/or approved specialized certification (EX: Certified TRX Instructor) required from one of the following: American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), American Council on Exercise (ACE), World Instructor Training Schools (WITS), International Sports Science Association (ISSA), National Personal Training Institute (NPTI), National Exercise Trainer Association (NETA), National Council on Strength and Fitness, Fit Tour, or a 4-year degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Therapy. Must be current and in good standing.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work an on-call schedule rotation as required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- May be required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. in various forms, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The employee must be able to perform medium work.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time while demonstrating manual dexterity in order to accurately work on the phone, computer keyboard, and other equipment
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and members' well-being.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person. Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time including continuous physical endurance for thirty to sixty minutes of aerobic activity.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and employment verification. Some positions may additionally require a successful credit check screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.