This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Interacts with new and existing members to help them in achieving their health and well-being goals. Creates a welcoming environment for all members of all backgrounds and abilities. This position is responsible for providing high quality group exercise, excellent customer service, and product knowledge to members in a safe and clean environment.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. We are the Y.
- Creates and leads an inclusive workout that motivates participants to work to their highest potential. This includes offering appropriate modifications and progressions so that all participants can scale the workout to their level.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Arrives prepared and on time to all classes and provides clear and easy to understand instructions for all members.
- Consistently use verbal and visual cues in a timely manner and coordinate all movement within tempo, downbeat, or the 32-count phrase of the music for appropriate formats in all components of a class except for the cool down.
- Ability to adjust choreography/workout on the spot based on the needs and abilities of the participants in the room.
- Actively recruits and retains group exercise participants.
- Connect and engage with participants during class verbally and with eye contact.
- Motivate members in support of meeting personal and program goals.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and other YMCA programs based on their health and well-being goals.
- Utilizes tools, technology and information for the purpose of increasing member knowledge of wellness as well as wellness programs provided through the YMCA (handouts, schedules, etc.).
- Maintain a high degree of trust and confidentiality with personal information of others.
- Maintains and cleans equipment according to the schedule or as requested by supervisor.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Respond promptly and appropriately when rescue or first aid is necessary.
- Enforce all safety rules fairly, consistently with tact and respect.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- Staff is expected to act professionally and dress according to the requirements
- Up to date Group Exercise (per Association requirements) certifications will be required at each annual performance evaluation.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School graduate or equivalent preferred
- CPR, First Aid, AED Certification preferred prior to hire. Must obtain within 60 days of hire
- Ability to choreograph music with group exercise movements
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages, improving the health and fitness at all levels
- Friendly, customer service-oriented attitude with members and fellow employees
- Certified Group Exercise Certification required from one of the following: Athletics and Fitness Association of America Group Exercise (AFAA GX), American Council on Exercise Group Exercise (ACE GX), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM CPT), American Council on Exercise (ACE CPT), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA CPT), International Sports Science Association (ISSA CPT), World Instructor Training Schools (WITS CPT), National Personal Training Institute (NPTI), National Exercise Trainer Association (NETA), Fit Tour, America Sports and Fitness Association (ASFA) or a 4-year degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Therapy. Must be current and in good standing.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work an on-call schedule rotation as required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- May be required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. in various forms, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The employee must be able to perform medium work.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time while demonstrating manual dexterity in order to accurately work on the phone, computer keyboard, and other equipment
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and members' well-being.
- Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via phone and in person. Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time including continuous physical endurance for thirty to sixty minutes of aerobic activity.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and employment verification.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.