Group Technical Art Director - Frostbite
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
We are Frostbite
Frostbite is EA's state-of-the-art multi-platform game development engine. Our global team empowers game creators to shape the future of gaming by developing creative engine features and outstanding tools. We are privileged to have thousands of game developers all over the world using Frostbite to create some of the most amazing games and player experiences in the industry.
What does a Technical Artist do?
As the Group Technical Art Director for Frostbite, you will report directly to Frostbite's Head of Technology. You will lead a team of Technical Art Directors and Technical Artists to push the boundaries of the newest tools and workflows that Frostbite releases to our community of game teams. You'll help make our development process more creator-centric by understanding game team needs and ensuring delivery at quality across the Frostbite Product Areas. You will work with the product team and Frostbite engineers to improve the usability of content workflows and help steer the design of new features.
- The Group Technical Art Director is a leadership position, as the most senior Technical Artist within Frostbite.
- As the Group Technical Art Director, your mission is to define, direct, design and implement efficient, high-quality content production workflows and technologies through your team of Technical Artists and Technical Art Directors.
- As the Group Technical Art Director on Frostbite, you will collaborate directly with technical directors, product owners and game teams to improve the tools and workflows of our content pipeline.
- The Group Technical Art Director is an expert in the technical art field, with main responsibilities including content production workflows, tools, pipelines, asset optimization, visual scripting/logic ("schematics") and shader development.
- Technical Art Directors are expected to assume ownership over any technical issues that arise on their project and bring them to resolution. This will include delegation to, and empowerment of, senior, intermediate, and junior Technical Art staff on the team.
You Will Need
- 15+ years in game development or film industry, ideally with a focus around open world and procedural systems.
- Proven experience leading teams to meet team goals
- Proficient in visual and python scripting (C# and C++ a bonus)
- Expert knowledge of several DCC apps like Houdini, Substance, Maya, Blender, etc
- Experience working with engines (i.e. Frostbite, Unreal, Unity, etc)
- A solutions-provider, especially as it pertains to developing techniques to meet quality targets within technical constraints.
- Experience with content pipeline and asset optimization challenges/techniques.
- Effective at communicating with different audiences: artists, engineers, managers, executives.
- A willingness to jump into the unknown and solve new problems; the ability to think creatively to resolve technical and operational challenges and limitations.
- Comfortable engaging and building relationships with multiple teams and individuals globally
- Experience helping others achieve their best through game development tools
- Experience with a diversity of content creation tools within a game engine
- Experience with shader networks and procedural texturing.
- Shipped a AAA title
We thought you might also want to know:
More about us: www.frostbite.com
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these locations. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Pay offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
• British Columbia (depending on location e.g. Vancouver vs. Victoria):
º $134,250 - $202,100 CAN Annually
• Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $162,300 - $230,150 USD Annually
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. In the US, we offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity. For British Columbia, we offer a package of benefits including vacation (3 weeks per year to start), 10 days per year of sick time, paid top-up to EI/QPIP benefits up to 100% of base salary when you welcome a new child (12 weeks for maternity, and 4 weeks for parental/adoption leave), extended health/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, disability insurance, retirement plan to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We're looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. We provide comprehensive benefit packages and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free games and so much more. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.