This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
Why choose the YMCA?
- We offer a competitive wage plan that starts at a minimum of $15.00 per hour for Camp Counselors
- The Y is a cause-driven organization that provides a challenging and fun work environment with creative, talented and diverse individuals!
Are you Interested? Read further and find out!
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. We are the Y.
- Take responsibility for the leadership and guidance of a group of participants.
- Acquaint children with rules, activities, daily scheduled, and traditions of the program.
- Take responsibility for the safety/welfare of each child.
- Remain in the immediate area assisting in supervision during all activities including aquatics.
- Assist with organizing, and implementing activity plans for special interest activities.
- Assist with assuring proper sign in/sign out procedures are followed.
- Establish positive relationship with each child.
- Communicate progress of child to immediate supervisor.
- Monitor the needs of all children; treats each child with respect, dignity and as an individual.
- Take responsibility for all equipment and supplies used, helping maintain good working conditions, inventory and cleans-up after all activities.
- Assist in meeting and maintaining YMCA Day Camp Best Practices.
- Report all accidents to the Supervisor, and completely fill out proper health log and/or accident/incident form.
- Report any suspicions of child abuse to Supervisor as required by Florida State Law.
- Attend required staff meetings and training sessions.
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness of entire facility and report broken equipment and/or possible safety hazards.
- Participate in special events.
- Keep accurate attendance and headcount records.
- Report all hours worked accurately and in a timely manner to Supervisor.
- Remain up to date on emergency procedures and family center policies.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc…
- At least 16 years of age for most locations.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must be willing to work an on-call schedule rotation as required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- The physical activities of this position include: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions. May be required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. in various forms, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The employee must be able to perform medium work.
- May be required to sit, stand, or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
- Must exhibit patience and understanding. Receives and follows detailed instructions.
- Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind.
- Must possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor environment and children's well-being. Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction
- Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and employment verification.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.
Starting at $15.00