This position is responsible for organizing and directing the appropriate program segment's day-to-day operations, supervising and training all support staff, and implementing and supervising all aspects of daily activities for youth to provide a successful program that will foster teen's social, physical, spiritual, and mental growth in a safe and well-organized environment.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment, both physically and mentally, to ensure the operation of a quality Youth Development program.
- Attend all staff meetings as required to meet educational requirements. Establish in-service training.
- Assist in the planning and implementing of the daily lesson and activity plans that fit the teen's needs and interests.
- Take responsibility for the safety of the youth in the teen program environment and the quality of the supplies, equipment and materials in the teen program area.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse to proper authorities.
- Make sure proper procedures are followed for check-in/out of teens on a daily basis.
- Report all accidents to the Supervisor, and completely fills out proper health log and/or accident/incident form.
- Direct or assist in the daily maintenance of the teen program area, ensuring safety and cleanliness.
- Assume equal share of the regular housekeeping chores such as cleaning, preparing for daily activities and cleaning up after projects.
- Ensure that YMCA Character Traits are evident in all activities.
- Assist in all phases of operation of the program.
- Establish a relationship with each teen and know his or her present level of development; consider the needs of all the teens and treat each teen with respect and dignity.
- Work toward positive parent/staff relations.
- Participate in member retention, special events and fundraising.
- Complete all paperwork clearly and concisely.
- Remain up to date on emergency procedures and Family Center policies.
- Assure all programs are in compliance with all state and local requirements governing child care.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Central Florida in the Family Center and its programs.
- All other duties assigned by Management.
- Associate's degree or equivalent required; child development or related field of study preferred. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience in teen development or customer service related field required.
- YMCA youth development or operations experience preferred.
- Microsoft Office proficiency required; Oracle experience a plus.
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Must be willing to regularly work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent follow through actions regarding communication.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as critical thinking ability.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
- Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must be able to perform light work: exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The physical activities of this position include: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions.
- Talking is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, with or without correction.
- The employee must be able to perform medium work: exerting up to 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity, along with the visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- The employee is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
- Must complete successful background screening, which includes criminal and employment verification.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.